Langley Community Music School student to play Carnegie Hall
Sixteen-year-old LCMS student, Ben Su, at piano, has won the opportunity to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
A Langley Community Music School student is bound for the Big Apple, where he will perform on one of the most famous stages in the world. Piano student Ben Su won first prize at the 2013 New York International Artists Piano Competition, granting him the opportunity to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York City on Feb. 24.
“We are very proud of Ben,” said LCMS principal Susan Magnusson.
“He is an exceptional young pianist. It’s great to see yet another Langley student achieving recognition on the world stage.”
Competing in the 15 to 17 years category, 16-year-old Su played a Mozart Sonata, the Chopin “Black Keys” Etude, and “Dumka” by Tchaichovsky in his prize-winning audition.
Su has had previous competitive success, and is the winner of the 2012 Performing Arts BC Provincial Music Festival in the intermediate piano category, and the 2012 Canadian Music Competition Scholarship winner in duo piano 15-18 category with LCMS student Stephen Li. At LCMS, he won the 2012 Concerto Competition.
“I’m really excited about this award and going to play at Carnegie Hall in New York,” said Su. “It will be an amazing experience and so many professionals have played there — that provides a great deal of motivation and inspiration to me.”
Su has played the piano for 10 years, the last seven spent at LCMS studying with Bernard Duerksen.
Substantial Musical Achievements.
- Semi-finalist for the Julia Crane International Piano Competition in Potsdam, NY (Sept 2013)
- Recommendation to the Provincial National class at the BC Performing Arts Festival by the Kiwanis Fraser Valley International Music Festival (2013)
- RCM Grade 10 Piano with First Class Honours with Distinction
- RCM ARCT Piano Performance with First Class Honours with Distinction
- RCM Advanced Harmony with First Class Honours
- First place winner of the American Protege International Concerto Competition (Carnegie Hall performance)
- First place winner of the New York International Artists Association Competition (Carnegie Hall performance with $1000 prize)
- First place winner of the Langley Scholarship Awards Festival in 2013 ($850 including the Most Outstanding Chopin award)
- First place winner of the BC Performing Arts Festical in 2012
- Finalist in the Canadian Music Competition (CMC) in the Piano Duo category with Stephen Li (June 2012)
- Rose Bowl Award for Most Outstanding Performer in the Chilliwack Lions Club Music Festical (March 2012)
- Received a $250 scholarship from the Kiwanis Fraser Valley International Festival (April 2012)
- First place winner of the Vancouver Chamber Music Festival in a Piano Trio with Stephen Li and Trisha Doo
- First place winner of the Langley Music School Concerto Competition (2012)
- Second-place winner of the Seattle Russian International Music Festival (2011)
- Winner of the Northwest International Piano Ensemble Competition in the Junior Piano Duo category (2010)